Voco in Ignis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Red Devil

Go down

The Red Devil Empty The Red Devil

Post  Feral Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 pm

This is a continuation for Ashmane where I left off in my List of Characters. It was requested, so here you guys are.

Panting heavily, the crimson beast hobbled along. All the adrenaline now gone, he realized just how much he ached. How had he even flipped that switch? The one where he felt nothing? Ashmane tried to find it, to locate it so he could turn off the pain once again. His leg hurt, badly. The bone was sticking out of the skin. A bloody mess. He shook his head slightly, trying to move along as best he could without use of that limb. It wasn't easy, not at all. The pain was like an annoying fly. He could always swat at it, only to have it return just moments later.

Shuddering as a cold wind ruffled his stained pelt, Ash soon took rest in the boughs of a tree. It was cold. Winter had set in once again. The wolves seemed to have pick a good time, when he was out and about, to come and attack the pack. His eyes downcast, he thought about the scene. Could he have done anything differently? Anything at all to try and save his pack mates? A warning would have been best. But he hadn't even scented them. Now that Ashmane thought about it, he hadn't smelled them at all until he got close. Fire and brimstone, the scent of something other worldly. What did that mean? He was confused...

A cackle interrupted his thoughts. Ashmane was quick to lift his skull, look about. His heart began to race in his chest, pounding like thunder on a stormy evening.

"W-Who's there!" he barked, stuttering slightly.

The brute rose to his paws, spinning about. He was searching for the maddening cackle. It was a sound he did not want to hear. The scent of fire and brimstone filled his nostrils, threatening to burn his sense of smell.

"Well, well, it seems I was right!" a voice purred. "My mate did a good job of leaving you alive. And so alone. Has it not yet hit you, Ashmane? Has it not yet struck you?"

A petite figure came from the shadows. Her eyes glowed a brilliant red, a smirk upon her face. The she-devil padded around him, her tail curling beneath his neck as she passed him by.

"You are one handsome devil, I must say. A young, strong brute. Fit for our pack! A perfect addition!"

Ashmane growled lowly, snapped his jaws at where the female had once stood.

"Ah, ah, ah," she said in a mocking tone. "Is that anyway to treat your dear auntie?"

"I have no relation to you, she-devil!" the brute spat.

He snarled loudly, lips pulled back over sharp canines. His fur was all puffed up. Ash wasn't liking this female before him one bit.

"Now, now, Ashame. Your father was my brother! And he refused to let me have you!" she sneered. "To keep our bloodline pure!"

Whatever she spoke of, he did not want a part of it. The brute slowly backed away while she wasn't looking. A good chance to escape, he figured. Just as he about slipped off into the shadow, he gave a startled yelp by the sudden tackle of another wolf. The Alpha male. He was truly frightened of this beast before his eyes. Auds fell flat, slightly slack jawed, eyes wide. He couldn't run....

"You really thought I'd come alone, Ashmane?" she snickered, turning to face the pinned brute. "Oh, no. I know how you are. You need more... oh, what's the word... convincing. I could bring your mother and father back. If you join us," she purred.

"W-what...?"

His eyes turned to the female, almost as if he couldn't believe that. It was impossible, right? Just to give him a taste, though, she let the spirits of his beloved parents float just before him.

"If you join us, I'll bring them back," she cooed again.
Feral
Feral

http://wolven-flame77.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

The Red Devil Empty Re: The Red Devil

Post  Feral Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:57 pm

"Think about it, Doll," she said in a soothing tone. "You join us, I bring your parents back, we're all happy in the end. That is what you want, isn't it? Is for your parents to return? Be with you again? Have a family?"

Ash stared at the spirits faces. They had no eyes... So he couldn't read the expressions very well. However, he swore up and down that it was one of sadness. He wanted to see them again so badly. It seemed so selfish though to bring them back. So... self-wanted.

"No..."

"I beg your pardon?"

"I said no."

The she-devil snarled in irritation, wacked Ashmane hard across the face.

"Kill him!"

Ash knew that there was no escape from this. No way he'd live to see another day. He felt the hot breath of the brute upon his throat. Those canines were ready to sink into flesh. However, one moment he felt the pressure of the Alpha, the next it was gone. He chanced a look, glancing up to see a pure white wolf standing over him, snarling loudly. Were those...wings!?

No words were shared. The black and white brutes clashed while the female slunk around to finish what her mate had started. Ash recovered though, and was quick to be upon his feet. Shaking his frame, he glanced at the two seemingly ghostly forms. That's when he felt the small female smack into his body. Off balance, but not on the ground, he snarled and whiped around swiftly. She hadn't expected the Red Devil to be so quick and agile, even with a broken leg. That switch had turned off again... His eyes taking up a deadened look. Those powerful jaws of his snapped down upon her scruff.

She yelped loudly, trying to free herself from the deadly grasp. Ashmane shook his head back and forth, treating the female as if she were a ragdoll. He felt his incisors ripping through flesh as if it were nothing but butter. Blood coated his tongue, and his pupils turned to slits. Ashmane continued to ravage the female's nape until he heard a satisfying snap. The spine had broken. Something was off though, with him. The brute continued to shake the body as if it were nothing more than a toy. Something finally yanked the brute off. The blinding light easily snapped him back into reality.

Wincing slightly, he turned to gaze at the strange light. It soon settled down, revealing the white wolf. It stared at him, blue eyes gentle.

/Come,/ rang a voice inside of Ashmane's head. /Come, and I will teach you./

In awe of the creature before him, the Red Devil did not hesitate to follow. He couldn't stay back. No, this creature pulled at his very soul it seemed. Why? Ashmane couldn't answer that question. But he followed anyway. The two traveled for what seemed like miles. In his presence, Ash couldn't feel any of his aches and pains. It was a mystery to him. The white one soon stopped before a cave, motioned him inside. When Ashmane stepped through the cave entrance, he found himself standing in a crystaline cavern.

/Welcome to my home, Ashmane,/ came the voice again. /I am Elderock./
Feral
Feral

Back to top Go down

Post  Feral Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:09 pm

He was stunned. Utterly and purely stunned. Ashmane had no words to describe how beautiful the place was. It was just undescribable! Slowly, he limped forward, his eyes darting about the cavern, drinking in each detail. The way that the crystal formed, the small trickle of spring water, the sounds his paws made upon the smooth surface. Nothing was left unnoticed.

"It's... it's beautiful..." he murmured.

A chuckle rang in his mind once more. Turning to the white wolf, his tail lashed lightly. Ash glanced the brute over now that he had an actual chance.

"You saved me... why?"

/Why not? You were in need of help, young one, and I can aid you in more ways than one./

Aid him? How? Ashmane wasn't really sure he was worthy to be saved at the present moment, but he did not question it any longer. Instead, he slowly pad towards the pool that was inside, and lay in its cool waters. A sigh of relief came from him as the liquid soaked into his pelt, soothing his aching muscles and bones. Dried blood began to wash off his mass, staining the waters a crimson color. Elderock slowly pad forward, his wings shuffling until they were close to his body.

/When you are done, come and find me, young Ashmane./

Find him? May not be for a while. The Red Devil hadn't had any rest in what seemed like months. Three days, he'd been traveling. Three. Soaking up the spring water, he yawned, and then turned to lap at it. It was cool and crisp, helping to parch his dried throat. Rolling about in the water for a few moments, despite the ache it brought to the broken limb, he relished in the cool liquid. Soon, he rolled back to his paws, and shook his pelt out. Water droplets sprayed everywhere. He then padded along, limping still. Where had Elderock gone? All he needed to do was follow the scent trail.

It led him to a new area of the cavern. It was filled with books. Books? Why would a wolf want books? Tilting his head in slight confusion, Ashmane slowly padded forward.

/Ashmane, have you ever learned to read the human language? It's quite fascinating. Wolves took and learned from them long ago. And now we've developed our own, write down our own histories and lessons from the past. Not all wolves aim to become a scribe, as I have./

"A scribe...?"

/Yes. A scribe. A writer. A story teller, in other words. I watch the world around me, and record what history has to offer us./

His interest had been perked up. Slowly, the brute moved closer to the white wolf. He sat down, looked at what he was writting. Of course, Ashmane couldn't understand a single word that was written. He didn't know how to read.

/Ah yes.... a sad story this one turns out to be.../

"Who's story?" Ash asked softly.

Elderock looked at Ashmane, blinked slowly.

/Now, if I told you that, it would ruin the story./

He looked a bit dismayed. However, his eyes turned to gaze upon the page. It was written in blood. That much he knew. Giving a soft sigh, the Red Devil watched as the book was returned to its place.

"So, you can see the future?"

/Oh, just bits and pieces, and if the wolf of the story is on the path, then yes./

"What do you mean if?"

/Ashmane, there are many paths in life. It's like a river. It winds and it weaves its way through the land, always coursing in one direction. But something happens, something comes along, and there is soon a fork in the river. Now, it can go two ways. Two paths. And those forks create more forks, and those forks even more forks, all due to the nature of how the river runs. You can think of our lives that way. We're like that river, and whichever fork we follow is how our lives turn out to be./

He blinked. Those were some hefty words. Almost foreboding even. It kind of scared Ashmane.

"So, how does a wolf know to pick the right path?"

/They don't. They simply follow wherever the details lead them./

That sounded a bit heavy to his ears.

"Oh..."

/I know it's not what you wanted to hear, young one. But life is no longer about you and your pack... It's about what you do that makes you. So, will you learn all I have to offer? Or will you be going on your way./

Glancing to the entrance, Ashmane bit his lip. Leaving sounded so much easier than what was offered him. However, he needed food, shelter, just a place where he could wrap his mind around recent events....

"I'll stay."

His eyes soon drifted back to Elderock. The brute had a smile on his face.

/Very well. Go, get some rest. Tomorrow we will begin our lessons./
Feral
Feral

Back to top Go down

Post  Feral Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Ashmane lay curled up in a ball. His broken limb stuck out at a rather funny angle. Giving a low grumble, he curled up even tighter. Standing above him, Elderock frowned slightly. He had slept away a full night and most of the day now... Whatever hell they put the Red Devil through was a mystery. Not for very long, for the white brute soon went to the book he had shown Ashmane.

/Ah... so this is how you started down the dark path..../

A slight frown once again curled at his lips. Putting the text away, he soon went to Ash's side once again. Finally, he gave him a nudge. The crimson brute stirred a little, groaning in protest. Did he want to be woken up? No. Ashmane was having a rather nice dream about his family...

/Wake up, child. It is time we start your training./

Of course, no reply came. Elderock had expected that much. Moving towards the nearby spring, he gathered up a mouthfull of water, and moved to hover over the crimson beast's skull. Letting his jaws part, the cold waters spilled upon Ash's head. He yelped with a start, and was soon sitting up. He panted slightly, looking about.

"What...? Where...? ...oh..."

Ashmane suddenly looked rather deflated. The dream had been just that. A dream. His gaze soon turned to the snowy brute. The look of sorrow was upon his face.

/Come, child. Follow me./

Slowly forcing himself to stand, the crimson wolf followed the white one. Where were they going? He had no idea. Even in Elderock's presence, he was aching all over. Where was that switch...? Couldn't he turn it off? Giving a rather defeated sigh, he soon just moved forward. He did not expect to be taken where he was. A grove of trees. It was so strange, the way it looked.

/This is where I've trained many pups like yourself, Ashmane. Over my countless years as a scrib, I have personally seen to the training of wolves like yourself. Those lost and confused, with no where to go./

The white wolf began to pad around the edge of the treeline.

/Demons, angels, even mortal wolves have passed through here. Even those you would think were nothing but a nightmare./

Those blue eyes turned to Ash.

"Wh-what are you then?"

/Oh, you shouldn't be questioning what I am. But what you are./

Without giving Ashmane a time to respond, he soon lunged at the crimson brute. So startled was he that he was tackled once again. Felt a pressure upon that broken leg. It was burning...! No, no he was burning! It felt like he was on fire. A howl of pain was ripped from his throat. And it suddenly stopped.... Vision blurry, he glanced about. Elderock was standing a few paces away, strange symbols glowing upon his body. His gaze then turned to the broken limb. Or...once broken limb.

/You have been restored to your normal strength, Ashmane. Let us begin your training./
Feral
Feral

Back to top Go down

Post  Feral Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:47 pm

To the brute, it felt as if he'd been on constant guard for years! Ashmane panted heavily, his limbs shaking from fatigue. He glared at the white wolf before him, a snarl rippling though his maw. He was angered. Very angered. How was it that he could not land a single hit upon this seemingly normal wolf! Furious with himself, he tried again, only to be pinned down and have sharp fangs sink into his flesh.

/Again!/ barked the voice as the white wolf released his grip.

Struggling to stand at this point, Ash was ready to just throw in the towel. However, he soon again rushed forward. His eyes were ever watchful, calculating. To his shock and that of the white wolf, he rammed right into his bulk, and let his sharpened canines tear through the alabaster lupe's shoulder. Much to his surprise though, he was again thrown off and apprehended.

/Very good, Ashmane! If you can land more than a single blow on this next encounter, we'll move onto your next lesson./

Why? Why was he learning to fight when he knew how too already? It bothered the crimson brute. Giving a soft sigh and shaking his pelt out, Ashmane calculated his movements once more. Rushing forward was just asking for trouble. A head on collision had not worked yet. But then a plan came to mind... If he were to rush forward...faking a head on attack... perhaps he could actually do what had been set before him. Emitting another sigh, the Red Devil soon put his plan into action.

Lurching forward, Ash prepared himself. The white lupe? Oh, he knew Ashmane was up to something. Just what was it? As the crimson brute and the white one drew nearer each other, Ash danced off to the left and rammed his mass right into Elderock. Taken by surprise, he stumbled a bit. That's when the opportunity was taken. Again, ramming his bulk into Eld, Ashmane felt the older wolf fall into the ground. He soon pounced upon the alabaster wolf, and began to tear into his shoulder again. Leaping back quickly, he avoided the motion that would have pinned him again.

Now it was down to who had more endurance. The fight seemed to last for hours. Neither wolf seemed to land another hit. Nor could they pin each other. Bruises would be earned on both sides. Only one would walk away the victor. Question...who? Would it be the more seasoned wolf? Or the wolf with nothing to lose? Many more tense moments passed. Finally... a victor stood out. Standing tall, head held high, was Ashmane. The white lupe? ...dead. Then again, Elderock had known the consequences. Knew what awaited himself if he trained Ashmane. And still, he had been willing. Still, he had chosen to take on the young wolf.

Many moments passed before Ash realized that the wolf wasn't getting up. Gently, he pawed at Elderock. A small whine came forth from him. Why wasn't he getting up? Ears pinning flat to his skull, the brute realized what he'd done... Head low, tail tucked between his hinds, the crimson brute lay beside the lifeless body. How long was he there? Ashmane didn't know. Nor did he care. He soon got up as the sun began to set, and slowly padded away.

As he did so, a voice chuckled inside of his mind. Startled, he glanced about, and looked back at where the alabaster brute once lay. Where had he gone?

/Do not be ashamed, Ashmane. I knew the consequences when I took you in. You've learned more than I could ever hope to teach you. You have valour, courage, strength, beyond anything I've ever seen. You have what it takes, young one. Go out into the world with my blessing./

Encouraged a bit, the crimson brute no longer felt so guilty. Elderock had been like a father figure, even if it was for only a few days. He soon turned away once more, and went out into the world.
Feral
Feral

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum